Tuesday, February 22, 2011

bright eyes

I saw Bright Eyes last night in Amsterdam. This concert is apparently part of Conor Oberst's final tour as Bright Eyes, promoting their new (and probably final) cd, before he embarks on more solo stuff. I am unable to go into detail about the concert because it was that incredible---I had never witnessed the intensity of Conor live before, and it was pretty amazing. The kid has a lot of emotion.
He was playing with two drummers (body-shaking bass, seriously), bass/backup vocals, rhythm guitar/steel guitar, a chick on  synths/backup vocals, and an ancient dude on synths/trumpet. It was a powerful combo, and they used the contrast and buildup techniques quite well.
It was also a great crowd, despite it's being a lot of highschool kids. Ravi and I were like surrounded by a mob of them, which made me feel oddly old. They loved Conor though, and since Rav and I were like 3 feet back from the stage we got to watch them grab Conor's hands and stuff, swooning. At the end of the concert, they pulled him off the stage and people went wild touching his hair, one greasy kid even making out with his ear. Ravi went in for the head touch, but I was so shocked and worried about Conor hitting the ground that I stayed rooted to my spot.
Ravi and I were thoroughly exhausted from dancing after the concert and passed out in the train home. What a great night. Check out facebook for a video clip. Here are some pictures of the babe himself for you to enjoy. Yes, I was that close to him.
awww yeah



i decided i could never be cool enough to be in a band like this because i would smile too much. this guy was the only one who ever looked remotely happy, and it was in a really cool, jamming way.



(pianist looks kinda like my friend melissa evans...)
peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment