I've gone grocery shopping a minimum of two times a week in the three weeks I've been here, and I can't say I've mastered the art of the checkout line. It's a combination of two factors: every customer buys so much less than what I'm used to in the states, and the employees haul ass scanning those items, taking your money and counting out change. It is SO fast. So by the time I've handed her the money, I'm supposed to have put all of my items into my bag, take my change and book it before the next customer's yogurts are flung through the scanner. It gets extra problematic when I'm trying to fit too many things into the bag, but really I'm just not fast enough no matter what. I couldn't even go fast enough last week, when I just bought coffee and three kinds of chocolate and tried to stuff them in my backpack. I almost always end up looking (and feeling) a little flustered.
Luckily, there's a shelf along the front wall of Hofer, so I can always bank on re-organizing my purchases, especially when there are eggs involved.
No comments:
Post a Comment