Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Perfect Day

I just wanted to post because today was AWESOME. I have a whole list of things to do before going home for Christmas next week, including finding a couple of articles and doing work in various libraries and today I was supposed to check some things off that list. Instead, I slept in by accident, had an awesome breakfast of berry yogurt with berry müesli, then proceeded to walk all around my neighborhood poking my head in literally every store I have been wanting to go into. There's an Italian style cafe around the corner where you just stand and drink your coffee, so I tried to the espresso there and then eventually made my way to Cafe Schwarzenberg, which is a really famous typical fancy Viennese Cafe where like Wagner ate lunch. I wanted to sit somewhere classy, have coffee and journal for a while before meeting up with Melissa to go to Demel, the fanciest chocolate shop in the city. We got cake and more espresso (!) and then bought a little Demel cake together for me to give to the Thomases of the German Department. I realized that the Monday after I get back is the last day of finals, so I need to make a coffee date with my fav professors :)

 Then I had an awesome class with presentations about the piano pedagogy of the 19th century, focusing on the innovations of Liszt and Chopin and then about Chopin's etudes. My original plan afterward was to visit the Christmas market at Spittelberg, but I realized I had no idea where it actually was, so I went to Mariahilferstraße to attempt to do some errands. I did  few errands, but most importantly, ending up deciding to buy these brown leather boots that I have been thinking about for about 3 weeks now.

I made tomato soup and grilled cheese (with a mix of random cheese and brie) and had a glass of whole milk for dinner, which is one of my favorite meals. I'm going to practice Lieder now on the piano downstairs, and really, I'm not quite sure that this day could get any better. Good food, good coffee, great music. Oh, and it snowed while I was walking on Kohlmarkt, which is a street in the very center of Vienna that has Christmas lights strung like a wall of light overhead = magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment